Thursday, October 9, 2008

Flammkuchen


A Flammkuchen is Germany's answer to a pizza. It's a traditional dish in southwest Germany. The traditional toppings are just the cheese dairy mixture (below), onions, and bacon. However, feel free to be creative on this dish. There are restaurants in Germany that focus solely on the Flammkuchen and its varieties. 

Differing from a traditional pizza, the Flammkuchen's crust is extremely thin and crisp when it is finished.
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups (or more) all purpose flour
1 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit)
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
3/4 cup creme fraiche
1/3 cup large-curd cottage cheese
1/3 cup sour cream
2 small white onions, very thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
12 ounces 1/4-inch-thick bacon slices 

Combine the flour, water, yeast, and sea salt into a bowl. Mix well and let it rise until doubled in size. (This normally takes 1-1.5 hours, but I put mine into an oven preheated at 200 degrees, which I turn off as soon as I put the dough inside.)

Combine the creme fraiche, cottage cheese, and sour cream in a bowl and mix well. When the dough is ready and spread out, apply a thick coating of the mixture. Top with the bacon and onions, and bake for 10-15 minutes at 550 degrees F.

Guten Appetit!

4 comments:

measle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Our family was in Italy and had this pizza. Have wished for the recipe. Thank you so very much.

Anonymous said...

ah that looks so yummy!

Unknown said...

My friend smoked for 30 years and it gave him bad lungs. I tried to get him to quit, but he didn't stick to it. I had heard that Vape could replace cigarettes and help people quit smoking, and I wanted my dad to try it. A friend recommend a site: Smok Vape Pod, someone bought? Please give me some advice!! Recommend other websites or quit smoking methods.I recommend Steam Crave RDTA and steam crave plus.