Thursday, November 20, 2008

Chicken Tikka Masala


I found this recipe on RasaMalaysia. Honestly, I've never really had much experience with Indian food. The recipe looked like it could be made with things I had readily available. which never seems to be the case when I find an Indian recipe that looks interesting. I also live with a VERY picky eater that avoids spicy foods at all costs, so Indian food is always a bit of a challenge...

I've made this recipe twice now. The first time I followed the recipe exactly, and the second time I made a few changes. Either way, it's delicious!

Here is the recipe as found on the RasaMalaysia site. My changes are in red.

Ingredients 

Marinating the Chicken

3-4 boneless chicken breasts, skins removed and cut into bite-sized pieces 
250g thick natural yogurt 
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced 
2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 teaspoon chili powder

2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper 
Salt

Skewers, If using wooden skewers completely submerge them in water for approx. 30 minutes. This will hinder them from catching fire while grilling.

Tomato Gravy

250g canned cocktail tomatoes (I used two fresh medium-sized tomatoes, which I put into my food processor)
250g heavy cream 
2 garlic cloves, minced 
(I also added a medium red onion)
2 red chilies, finely chopped 
(I used a can of jalapenos)
2 teaspoons ground cumin

2 teaspoons paprika powder 
1 tablespoon ghee or clarified butter 
Handful of coriander leaves/cilantro, chopped 
Salt and pepper 

Method

Mix all of the ingredients for the marination in a large bowl. Thoroughly mix until the chicken is nicely coated. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

On the next day, either prepare your charcoal grill or heat up the grill function of your oven to high. *I put all of the chicken on a parchment lined baking sheet. I baked the chicken at 375F for 25 minutes.

Thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers, discarding the marinade. Grill the chicken evenly on all sides, until juices run clear - approx. 5-6 minutes.

To prepare the gravy, heat a large skillet to medium and melt the ghee/clarified butter. Sauté the garlic and chopped chilies until fragrant. Sprinkle the ground cumin, paprika powder and a pinch of salt. Sauté for a further minute or two until the mixture turns into a paste-like texture.

Pour in the canned tomatoes, scraping the bottom of the skillet to deglaze it and to release any bits stuck to the pan. Simmer uncovered for approx. 10-15 minutes on low heat until the sauces begins to thicken, then add the grilled chicken pieces and cream. Simmer for a further 10 minutes, thickening the sauce further and to heat the chicken and cream through. 

Serve sprinkled with fresh chopped coriander leaves and with steamed Basmati rice, fresh naans and pickles. 

Make sure to visit RasaMasala for other great recipes.

Guten Appetit!

10 comments:

Danielle said...

I have never tried Indian food.I need to everyone says its really good. This recipe looks tasty maybe after I make your sausage recipe Ill try this one!

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

I am happy to find your blog. Alles schmeck gut!! Susan

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

It's me again. Do you make stollen this time of year. How I miss that.

Reeni said...

I love Indian food but have never attempted to make it at home. I think I could do this one, yum, looks great!

test it comm said...

That looks tasty!

Unknown said...

Love to try this out!

Gina from Germany in Germany

Liesl said...

I really enjoy reading your blog and wanted to let you know I tagged you in my blog! Check it out!

http://lieslsconfectiondissection.blogspot.com/2008/12/ive-been-tagged.html

ostwestwind said...

Na das ist aber nun wirklich nicht "typisch deutsch" :-) Aber dazu schmeckt sicher auch ein Bit

Grüße aus Deutschland

Rach said...

Alright, I have been craving Indian food like crazy lately and after reading your post, I gathered up the ambition to actually make this.

I just want to say holy sh*t, this hit the spot. Excellent!

dolly said...

Hi guysss............
=========
BPO projects