Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Geschnetzeltes


Geschnetzeltes is a dish that is extremely popular in Zurich, the place where it originated, but is also popular throughout southern Germany. Traditionally, it is just veal, mushrooms, white wine, cream, and lemon. This is a variation on the traditional recipe.

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless pork chops
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup white wine
1 cup beef broth
2 cups sliced mushrooms
3 tablespoons ground paprika
1 large onion (chopped)
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Slice the pork chops into thin strips and sauté in a pan with olive oil. Once the pork is done, remove it and set it aside in a bowl. Add the chopped onions, garlic, and mushrooms and sauté them until soft. 

Add the broth and the wine. Simmer the sauce until it has reduced halfway. (10-15 minutes)

Add the pork back to the pan. Add the heavy cream and 3 tablespoons of paprika. Heat for 5 minutes until warm. Serve over pasta of your choice.

Guten Appetit!

4 comments:

Julia @ crazyaboutbretzels said...

Hello! Bumped into your blog the first time and I find it great! Kind of like my blog, but the other way around! I'm collecting german recepies now that I live here and I'm happy to find this one! Grüsse aus Freiburg!

test it comm said...

That looks tasty!

Liesl said...

I am so glad I found your blog!! I have a very heavy German background and look forward to trying out some of your recipes! My husband and I are actually looking to go to Germany next Christmas to check out the Christmas Markets!!!

Jessie Weaver said...

I realize you posted this 4 years ago so who knows if you still see comments, but I wanted to let you know I tried it. Delicious!!!